Assistant Professor of Architecture
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth’s flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Architecture at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor to teach undergraduate and graduate architecture design studios, and related coursework. The position will begin September 1, 2020.
Situated in the award-winning UMass Design Building, the Department of Architecture provides an accessible, intellectually rigorous design education that firmly grounds students in the art and science of the built environment. The interdisciplinary and collaborative ethos of the department embraces spirited, socially progressive, and environmentally responsive design.
The successful candidate will be engaged in a creative practice of architecture and will have a strong interest in teaching design, and expertise in one or a combination of the following topic areas: visual culture; design communication; fabrication; building tectonics; design theory; professional practice. The candidate will be expected to continue an active practice of creative and scholarly work within the discipline. Participation in departmental and university service is also a responsibility.
- A professional Master of Architecture (or foreign equivalent); or a Bachelor of Architecture plus a terminal graduate degree in a related field.
- Architecture license (or foreign equivalent) by the time of appointment.
- Engagement in the practice of architecture.
- A demonstrated ability to teach design studio and related courses in a professional degree program.
- Evidence of outstanding design skills.
- The ability to develop and maintain an active research/creative scholarly program.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, and the University offers an attractive benefits package.
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest including practice, research, and teaching interests and experience.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae.
- Selected samples of work (research, design, and/or teaching).
- A Statement of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion which describes your past, current, and anticipated contributions in these areas through research, teaching and service.
- Contact information of three references (including name, title, address, telephone number and email address).
Review of applications will begin on January 10, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration.