The School of Architecture at Mississippi State University (housed in the College of Architecture, Art + Design) invites applications to fill a position for the Director of the School of Architecture.
The School of Architecture (housed in the College of Architecture, Art + Design) is a 5-year bachelor of architecture (B.Arch) degree granting program. The only NAAB accredited program in the state of Mississippi, we have a diverse student body of more than 200 students, and graduates who are highly sought after by the profession. We offer unique opportunities for innovative teaching, creative research, and substantive interdisciplinary collaboration; including the pioneering Collaborative Studios with the Building Construction Science program in the College, and the fifth-year program in Jackson, MS. We pursue these commitments with a diverse faculty of approximately 15 people, all of whom teach both in the design studios and in the area of their specialization. We are committed to the challenges of twenty-first century architecture; collaborative practice and community engagement, ecological and cultural sustainability, tectonics of making and building, as well as exploring digital fabrication and digital design and its relationship to architecture. All of these issues are intertwined in our research and teaching, and our connection to place.
The Director is the administrator of the School of Architecture, and provides leadership in the areas of pedagogy, curriculum, research, student recruitment and retention, and faculty development, as well as interdisciplinary initiatives within the College and the University. The Director initiates dialogue about studio teaching, historical and technical education, and supports and advances intergenerational relationships through an active dialogue about architecture education and research within the School, College, and University with leaders in the architecture profession and other educators.
The candidate should demonstrate leadership qualities to support the program’s goal of excellence by supporting and mentoring faculty teaching, research, and service; by creating and supporting research and funding opportunities; by fostering program development and growth; by expanding relationships with the architectural profession; and by leading the program to continue to achieve accreditation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advance student, faculty, and staff successes through engendering experimentation and development of new ideas and programs.
- Lead, manage, and administer all aspects of the School of Architecture including curriculum, program development, faculty and student recruitment and retention, human resources, physical resources, and fiscal resources.
- Foster collegiality, build consensus, and articulate and promote the School’s goals and interests, through both academic and professional venues, associations, and organizations.
- Experience with leading architecture programs in preparation for continued accreditation. The School of Architecture will be pursuing reaccreditation in 2024.
- Work productively with the Office of the Dean of the College of Architecture, Art, and Design, the MSU Office of Research and Economic Development, and the MSU Foundation to increase private and institutional support for research, facilities, scholarships, endowments, and advancement.
- Develop and maintain University and community relationships and outreach including the fifth-year program in Jackson, MS, the Gulf Coast Community Design Studio, and the Carl Small Town Center.
- Continue individual research/creative achievement at the national and/or international level.
Duties shall include those outlined in the Position Function and other such duties, including teaching, as mutually agreed upon with the Dean of the College of Architecture, Art, and Design. As an employee, the Director is expected to comply with all federal and state laws, all policies of the Board of Trustees, and all University policies.
The Director of the School of Architecture is committed to the mission and vision of the School of Architecture, the College, and the University including values of excellence, diversity, sustainability, and global involvement.
The Director of the School of Architecture reports to and serves at the pleasure of the Dean of the College of Architecture, Art, and Design. This appointment is subject to approval by the University President.
The successful candidate is expected to begin employment on or before July 1, 2021.
- The candidate must hold a Master’s Degree in Architecture or a closely related field.
- Must have university teaching and administrative experience.
- Professional licensure in the U.S. or an international equivalent.
- The candidate must have received tenure at their previous institution and be eligible for, or demonstrate sufficient academic accomplishment to qualify for, appointment at the Associate Professor level with tenure.
- An established national reputation in research and/or creative achievement, teaching, and service.
- Scholarship, academic achievement, and the energy and intellect to work collaboratively with the faculty to develop a challenging and compelling vision of architecture education, particularly in the area of studio-inquiry and problem-based instructional pedagogies.
Rank will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- The rank of Professor with tenure.
- Experience with institutional and professional collaboration.
- Experience with community engagement.
- Experience developing graduate programs.
- A Ph.D. in architecture or in a closely related field.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
The successful candidate must meet or exceed the following criteria:
- Demonstrated effectiveness to serve as a dynamic and effective leader, advocate, and mentor.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with diverse internal and external audiences through written, oral, and social media.
- Proven ability to effectively interact with and support diverse students, alumni, faculty, staff, administrators, and external stakeholders.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the School, the College, and the University including values of excellence, diversity, global involvement, and accountability.
Instructions for Applying
All applicants must apply online at https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/en-us/job/500161/associate-professor-or-professor-and-director and attach PDFs of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- Statement of administrative philosophy and an approach to teaching, research, and service
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information (address, telephone number, and email address) of five references
- Portfolio demonstrating teaching, research, and service accomplishments
- Academic transcripts
All applications should be addressed to: Prof. Jeffrey Haupt, Director Search Committee Chair, College of Architecture, Art and Design, Mississippi State University. Review of materials for this position will begin on January 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.